Monday, November 25, 2013

Is Pre-K Really Important?

I have not blogged in quite a long time...well since 2012 to be exact, but I have had a lot of time to think and develop my thoughts on things relating to teaching and Pre-K. I have learned many things about Pre-K since stepping into this field and still continue to learn many things.

First, I have realized the importance of why children should go through Pre-K before entering elementary school and realized there is also a strong myth that Pre-K teachers really aren't teachers.  I would first like to address why Pre-K teachers are real teachers. There is a lot that goes into teaching Pre-K and it's not just a babysitting job. We have to plan detailed lesson plans, create small groups, teach handwriting, letters, numbers, shapes, colors, how to spell their name, address, phone number, tying their shoes, properly handling toileting procedures, scraping their plates (well really eating in general), wiping their nose, working out arguments, P.E. class, Spanish, Art, keeping up with work sampling online (anecdotal notes), filing, dealing with behavioral challenges, progress reports, parent-teacher conferences, and I could continue to go on and on. So, that in itself reveals that Pre-K teachers are real teachers. A teacher is not based on a piece of paper but how seriously you take your job and the effort you put into what you do in the classroom. Teaching is more than a job it is a calling, unfortunately there are some in the teaching field who are either burnt out or not called to the profession. I believe that a teacher has great impact on children and it is vital that they take the profession seriously understanding that they have a specific calling on their life. I believe if more teachers did this you would see a higher success rate in school and education would improve overall.

Secondly, I completely believe that Pre-K or some form of prior education for children is necessary. Does that mean that have to be in a school setting, not necessarily but prior knowledge is very important for them to be able to handle something new. I believe that if it is possible for children to attend Pre-K it is better because they have that opportunity to make social connections with other children and have the opportunity to have a jump start in relation to letters, numbers, etc... There are so many things that Pre-K children can learn and it is vital to their growth and independence they need to be successful in elementary school.

I have really pondered on these particular topics because this year in particular I have had to reevaluate my desire for teaching. This year was a major change for me because I started out the year with a new assistant, a bilingual class, multiple behavioral challenges and leading our Pre-K team with meetings and others various things. With all of that combined I could not seem to get in the groove of teaching this year. I had fallen in this "funk" and couldn't get out. It has been a struggle to make the decision on whether to stay in teaching or to leave the profession completely. There is much stress and long hours involved in teaching; however positives outweigh the negatives. So with that weighing heavily on my mind and much prayer, I have decided that if God has called me to something I have to stick to it. When He is ready for me to leave he will give me a complete peace about it and I will have no hesitation in doing what He has next for me. However, when I asked myself if it was time for me to walk away I never could get a peace about stepping away from the teaching field. I knew in my heart that God still wanted me in the profession and that teaching was more than a job it was my calling. I will continue to serve God faithfully in my calling, knowing that whether others think Pre-K is important, what matters is ultimately I am doing exactly what God wants me to do.

And yes, I am a real teacher and I am absolutely in love with my kiddos in Pre-K and am ready for the adventures in the days to come!

Til' Next Time...
Best Wishes In Teaching!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment